Sweet Roasted Pears with Cinnamon Gelato
Makes 4 servings
Cinnamon Gelato (makes about 1 quart):
3 cups milk
8 3-inch cinnamon sticks, each broken in half
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup heavy cream
10 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sweet Roasted Pears:
5 tablespoons Lyle’s Golden Syrup or honey, divided
4 ripe pears, peeled, halved and cored
Water, as needed
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 star anise
Pinch of salt
Make the gelato:
1. Heat the milk with the cinnamon sticks until it just begins to simmer in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Remove from the heat, cover, and let steep for 45 minutes.
2. Strain the milk through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding the cinnamon sticks, and return the cinnamon milk to the saucepan. Stir in 1 cup of the sugar, add the cream, and heat until steam rises from the surface.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and the salt together in a medium heatproof bowl. Gradually add the hot milk mixture, whisking constantly, then return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until the custard registers 185°F on an instant-read thermometer.
4. Immediately strain the custard though a fine-mesh strainer into a heatproof bowl. Chill over an ice bath, stirring occasionally, until cold. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or, preferably, overnight.
5. Freeze the gelato in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Roast the pears:
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In an ovenproof skillet, bring 3 tablespoons of the Lyle’s Golden Syrup to a simmer over medium heat. Add the pears, cut side down, and simmer until they begin to turn golden, about 8 minutes, stirring in 1 tablespoon water at a time when the syrup gets too thick.
7. Add 2 tablespoons water to the pan, turn the pears cut side up and roast until tender, 25-30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the remaining 2 tablespoons Lyle’s syrup, heavy cream and the star anise to a simmer. Whisk in the butter and salt. Drizzle the syrup over the roasted pears and serve 2 halves with a scoop of the Cinnamon Gelato.