Saturday, August 22, 2009

What a Peach!


I was at the farmers' market in Brooklyn Heights today (while everyone else on the planet was at the beach/country house/South of France), examining the heirloom tomato selection, which was quite impressive, when the peaches caught my eye, yet again. There were donut peaches, white peaches and yellow peaches, and they were pretty, plump and calling my name. I dropped the heirlooms (I did return later to pick up a few) and turned my attention to the peaches, considering the possibilites. Peach ice cream? I wasn't prepared for this--my ice cream bowl needed freezing. Pie? It was way too hot to be messing around with pastry for an extended period of time. I wanted something clean and quick, something to showcase the ripe, earthy flavors of my newly acquired peaches. I settled on peach galettes, which, as long as you have some puff pastry on hand, can be put together in mintues, and only require 30 minutes of baking time. They can also be assembled and frozen, ready for baking anytime you are.

Perfect Peach Galettes

Makes 4 servings

3 ripe yellow or white peaches
1 sheet puff pastry (homemade or frozen)
Turbinado sugar
Softened butter
Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll the pastry out to 1/8-inch thick and, using a small plate as a guide, cut out four 5-inch circles from the dough. Place them on a plate and refrigerate while you cut the peaches.
2. Cut the peaches in half and remove the pit. Cut 1/2-inch wedges from each of the peach halves. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Remove one pastry circle from the refrigerator and arrange 4 peach wedges around the perimeter of the circle. Arrange 3 wedges inside the circle. Brush the peaches with softened butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Place the galette on the baking sheet and continue assembling the remaining galettes. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is nicely browned.
3. Sprinkle the galettes with confectioner's sugar and serve warm with vanilla or dulce de leche ice cream.