Sunday, August 30, 2009

White Peach Sangria


Being of Irish heritage, I like a good cocktail now and then, and one of my favorite summertime concoctions is this white sangria. I first tasted a version of it at Bobby Flay's now-shuttered Spanish-style restaurant, Bolo, many years ago. I liked it so much, in fact, that I asked Bobby's assistant, my dear friend Stephanie Banyas, for the recipe, which she happily gave me. The original recipe called for white peach puree, which is available from restaurant supply sources, and difficult for home cooks to get their hands on. So I adapted it somewhat, and use Ceres peach juice, which is available at many supermarkets. If you can't find peach juice, though, you can really use any light fruit juice, such as pineapple or mango. Just make sure you use white peach slices in the fruit mix. This drink is refreshing and light, and goes down easy, so beware. Two or three can be downright dangerous.

White Peach Sangria

Serves 4 (You can double or triple this recipe easily)

1 bottle (750 ml) dry white wine, preferably a Spanish table wine (I use Marques de La Villa Toro)
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup peach juice, such as Ceres brand (available in most supermarkets)
1/3 cup brandy
1/4 cup Cointreau, Triple Sec or Pama (pomegranite liqueur)
3 cups sliced peaches, oranges, lemons, limes and/or green apples
A few fresh raspberries
1/2 cup simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water brought to a boil and cooled)
Ice

1. Combine wine, fruit juices, brandy, Cointreau, and half of the sliced fruit and stir. Add simple syrup. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
2. When you’re ready to serve, strain out fruit from pitcher and discard. Stir in remaining fruit and serve over ice.